North Yorkshire Wedding Photography By Bethany Clarke
Q&A with Brides up North
North Yorkshire Wedding Photography By Bethany Clarke
1.When did you first start photographing weddings and what was it that attracted you to the industry?
I first started photographing weddings in 2007 alongside another wedding photographer as his second shooter. I then started photographing weddings in my own right a couple of years later while also working as a photojournalist on national newspapers. My passion has always been storytelling though pictures and a wedding day has so many lovely stories to tell. Unlike many wedding photographers, I didn’t start photographing weddings through planning my own special day. I was a photographer with a passion for creating beautiful, powerful images that will retain their value through the years.
2 How would you describe your style of photography and the approach you take to capturing a big day? My background in photojournalism is fundamental to my approach to capturing striking and memorable images at weddings.
I like to observe and really capture the individuality of each wedding. Every bride and groom is different and the images should reflect this in recording their special day.
- What is it that you love most about your job? I feel so lucky that I adore my job. I love capturing beautiful images but, most importantly, I love capturing fleeting, life-changing moments that cannot be repeated and are over in an instant. By identifying these, I can create images that last a lifetime and can instantly transport couples back to that moment and how they were feeling. Wedding images are priceless mementos. It is one day that passes very quickly and good quality photos, captured by an alert photographer, can ‘time-freeze’ special moments, emotions, and people and make them last forever.
- In your opinion what are the most important things for a couple to consider when deciding which photographer to book for their wedding?
It is important that you like their style of photography, but also that you trust them to capture your special day and that they have the experience and professionalism to capture beautiful images whatever happens. Sometimes photographing weddings involves working in stressful situations, sometimes things don’t go to plan, sometimes the light, or weather, maybe challenging and couples need to feel confident that their photographer will produce a lovely record of their day no matter what.
- What sets you apart from other wedding photographers?
- My experience as an international photojournalist gives me a unique perspective to wedding photography. I have worked for some of world’s most prestigious editorial clients and captured a wide variety of situations from Royal and State leader visits to celebrations and natural disasters. I have photographed on film sets with A list celebs and in Indian slums.
I have photographed in almost every kind of light, weather, environment and emotional situation imaginable – all to the minute-critical deadlines of national newspaper front pages. This experience adds a unique style to my wedding photography.
My work had been exhibited in City Hall and The National Theatre, London, the United Nations HQ, New York and in Seoul.
- What is the feedback like from your couples? What do they say about the way you work and the images you produce?
My couples usually complement my relaxed and unobtrusive style, blending into the background for most of the day but giving a little direction if required. My couples usually say how relaxed they felt being photographed by me – and that’s a great compliment.
I really enjoy being part of a couple’s special day and I want them to enjoy having me as their photographer. Most coupes also are really impressed with how many beautiful, candid moments I capture, catching guests looking genuinely happy and enjoying themselves.
- Do you have a favourite part of the wedding day to capture (e.g. bride arriving, first kiss) and, if so, what is it and why? Every wedding is different and I enjoy them all.
- What area do you cover and is there somewhere in particular that you would love to shoot a wedding that you’ve not yet had the opportunity to do?
I’m now based in Yorkshire. I used to be in London and absolutely love getting occasional weddings down there- but I’m happy to travel anywhere – I love beach weddings – I would Love to shoot a wedding in Greece or Italy or on a tiny island… I have shot a few in the Channel Islands and its dreamy!
9.Other than photography, what are your other passions and what do you think you would be doing if you weren’t a wedding photographer?
I cannot imagine not being a photographer in some field. I absolutely loved working as a photojournalist. The variety of subjects and places I got to shoot was incredible but what really makes wedding so special for me is that it’s part of that family’s history.
It is the beginning of a new family and, as such, it’s very special to capture. Since leaving university I have always worked as a photographer. It has become more than just my job – it is also my identity.
- What would be your top piece of advice for couples when planning their wedding and on the day itself? Enjoy it. Hire people you trust. Investing in photography means you have the memories to look back on forever.
- What can couples that book you expect?
A Relaxed, friendly, professional, creative, experienced photographer who loves capturing weddings.
- What is included in your photography package?
https://bridesupnorth.com/2020/02/12/bethany-clarke-wedding-photography/?fbclid=IwAR3veygStUIims2AKQFsdnmZNLNU4ayjTI9UVu0T4sXD3SfeDDfaZ5-vLH0I keep them flexible so people can have exactly what they want … all packages include a personalised USB with digital images and a secure online gallery. Albums and pre wedding shoots are also available